Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Day 206
It was 34 degrees today with horrible hot winds and a smell of fire in the air so I delayed going out until mid afternoon (when the day was at its hottest!). Then I cycled along the lake to the National Library where an exhibition of Donald Friend's 44 sketchbook/journals plus some framed drawings and paintings has recently opened. He does marvellous pen and ink portraits - mostly of boys - and loose, expressive pen and watercolour sketches - lots of humour and inventiveness too. I am getting so much more from these sort of exhibitions, now I am having a go myself. I had to hurry home so just stopped briefly to do a sketch of the Wednesday evening race. The green boat is in a mess, with sails luffing, the spinnaker about to fall in the water and it's heading the wrong way round the buoy. 10 km cycle

4 comments:

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Must have been a wild ride for these sailors in that wind.
I hope your daughter has a great time on the sailing ship and that the wind is right.
W.

Making A Mark said...

It's greally great to see these Alison - and not so easy to atch things which are moving!

Just keep talking about the hot weather please.........

Penny said...

Love the look of the sails all over the place, Hope Finnian is enjoying her trip.

Jana Bouc said...

Thank you so much for sharing the information and link about Donald Friend. I'm going to see if I can find any of his journals used. I love his drawings and never heard of him before. Your blog is making me want to come to Australia!