Saturday, October 28, 2006

Day 181
I rode my bike along a different path today so on the return journey, I was coming towards Canberra from the west, through land that was completely burnt out in the 2003 fires. Black Mountain and the tower were saved - young pine trees have self sown below the mountain, and in the forground it is now grassland with many dead and broken trees. This is not the sort of landscape I mean to do - hopefully just a necessary step to something else! 10 km ride in a return to 12 degrees - and a cosy fire waiting at home.

3 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Hi Alison - I can see your picture!!!! Aren't burnt out landscapes sad?

I did go looking for explanations for not being able to see images and in fact found this on the known issues for blogger beta blog

Third-party services (e.g. Flickr, AudioBlogger, YouTube) will not work with Blogger in beta until they are updated to be compatible with Google Account logins. Update (9/11): Flickr now supports Blogger in beta. Read the Buzz post. If your blog was registered with Flickr and then moved to the beta you will need to re-register it. —

Julie Oakley said...

I think this is beautiful, sad but beautiful

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Alison, we were both looking at burnt landscapes this weekend. Anakie/Brisbane Ranges area has recovered - partly - and I have posted two pics but blogger has gone weird and says there are errors, then I have two posts the same! One posting about Melbourne suburbs didn't even get through though it's listed when I go back to edit!
Though many trees now have strange leaves on their trunks, many blackened trees just did not recover.
Oh, your picture is fine and adds to your collection of social history of course.
W.